Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Not a whole lot of knittin' goin' on

Gone are the days during which I'd knit for hours on end. Sad, but true. Fortunately I didn't turn into the crazy woman I am today before Christmas or Hayden's McTavish would've never gotten done. Lately I've been practically living at the YMCA - either teaching knitting classes, working on the wellness floor, doing fitness assessments, teaching cycling classes, or getting my own workouts in. It's starting to become nearly impossible for me to work out like a normal person at that Y, though - EVERYBODY wants to talk to me. Members want to talk to me about triathlon. Senior citizen ladies want to talk to me about knitting. Front desk people want to talk to me about who's doing what on the wellness floor because they know I'm organized and will know the answer. I go there to do my own workout and get finagled into working for 2 hours. I go there to do a workout that should take me 45 minutes but instead takes me an hour and a half because I'm constantly interrupted, even though I have iPod headphones on. My husband says I should just say that I can't talk, that I'm working out, but that's not me. The Bellevue YMCA Steph is very nice, very talkative, and willing to help out whenever. The REAL Steph is saying, "What's wrong with these motherf*ckers? Can't they see I'm working out? Why won't they leave me alone?!??" I guess I shouldn't complain too much. It's nice to be loved and needed. Maybe I should just invest in a Groucho Marx disguise.

Anyway, because I've been so busy, I haven't been doing much knitting. I'm working on the Equestrian Jacket from IK, and it took me 2 weeks to do one front. I love the pattern and I'm crazy for short-rows, but I just haven't had much time to pick it up. Pitiful. I had really wanted to get it done before we go to Austin mid-February (Mike's running the Austin Marathon, and I'm running the half), but the way things are going right now, that deadline is next to impossible.

Another reason I'm not knitting much is that what little spare time I have has been taken up by the National Strength and Conditioning Association's Essentials of Personal Training textbook. Yup - I'm working towards becoming a personal trainer. It's been a dream of mine for a long time, and I really think I'll be good at it. I'm registered to take the exam March 17th, so I've got a lot of studying to do in the next month and a half. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds great!!!! Good luck on your studying. And hey, there are definitely worse habits you could have. Exercise and knitting are, I think, two of the healthiest - one is for the body, the other is for the mind! Nevertheless, I hope you get some alone time!!!

FaeryCrafty said...

Sounds like you are a busy bee.

Jen said...

Awesome! i'm so happy for you to be able to pursue that dream. it sounds like people are already seeing you as a knowledgeable person to turn to at the Y anyway. I really enjoyed the pics of Hayden and his new socks and sweater... just too cute.

LoneStarCrank said...

Good luck in the Austin Half! We'll be glad to have you in Austin next week.