Tuesday, June 21, 2005

My Bike Saga Part 2

Let me update you on the Saga of the Destroyed Bike. After talking to the bike shop guys, we decided to get a brand new bike for me. None of this nonsense of buying a frame and having them build it up using the non-damaged parts of Ira. The new bike was ordered last Thursday and should be here by the end of the week. I'm excited about getting a new bike, b/c Ira was so old, but I'm not as excited as I should be. I guess I was too emotionally attached to dear ol' Ira. Once my new bike is here and I make sure it fits me and it's mine for keeps, I'll have to name it. Ira Klein was such a great name; I don't think I'll be able to top it. The new bike is a Kona. Since that's Hawaiian, and the Hawaii Ironman is the epitome of everything for triathletes, I'll have to come up with some great Hawaiian sounding name. My friend and I came up with Kammawanna ("Come on, I wanna kick your ass!" Or, "Come on, wanna ride with me?" Or, "Come on, wanna see if you can keep up with this speed queen?"), but my husband thinks it's a)stupid and b)a mouthful, so maybe I'll think of something else. He thinks I should name it Don, as in Don Ho, but that's a little too boring for me. Anyone have any suggestions?

Because I have only my racing bike now, I had to ride her on my first 100-mile bike ride (most cyclists call those centuries) this past Saturday. We had perfect weather for it, and the route was great. It was an organized bike ride, so there were rest stops every 20 miles stocked with water, Gatorade, and a plethora of food. We rode through some beautiful, and very hilly, areas that I never knew existed. At mile 80, we had to climb the worst hill I've ever been up. People around me were getting off their bikes and walking up it. (I didn't, though, b/c I'm a bad-ass!!!) It was hellish. At the top, there were some people cheering us on, and they had a boom box playing the music to "Rocky". I can say that was cute now, but at that point in time, I wasn't thinking anything was cute. This hill was at the top of a road named Stillhouse Hollow. I've decided that I don't want to ride on any roads with the word "Hollow" in its name, b/c "Hollow" to me means that I'm in a hole that's been scraped out of the earth, and I have to climb my way out of it.

On the knitting front, the felted bag is ready to be felted. I think it'll turn out cute. Now that I'm done knitting it, I'm focusing all my knitting time on Lelah. I want to get her done soon so I can wear her! The lace part is turning out great. We're going to West Virginia this weekend for a half-Ironman triathlon, so I have a lot of upcoming guilt-free knitting time. (I can knit in the car. Can you?) 8 hours each way means lots of kntting! Lelah's at a point where I think I'd finish her in the car, so I don't think I'll take her. I've got a ribbed top that one of the local knitting gurus told me to do b/c it'll look great on me (according to her), so I'll start that. Who knows - with all that time, I might even finish it!

No comments: